Located in the Upper Peninsula, Chippewa County is home to the Soo Locks in Sault Saint Marie, allowing ships to travel from Lake Superior to the lower Great Lakes.
Forming in 1840, Cheboygan is speculated to come from the Ojibwa term for “sewing needle” and shares the origin of the Cheboygan River.
Formed in 1869, Charlevoix is home to the Beaver Island archipelago including the Gull, Hat, Pismire, and Shoe islands.
Formed in 1829, Cass County played a prominent role in the Underground Railroad.
Formed in 1829, Calhoun County is named after John C. Calhoun, Vice President under Andrew Jackson. It is also home to the third largest city in Michigan, Battle Creek.
Founded in 1829, Branch County is named after the U.S. Secretary of the Navy John Branch.
Sitting in the furthest SW corner of Michigan, Berrien County is home to Paw Paw Lake and the St. Joseph river.
Organized in 1969, the name “Benzie” is derived from the French Riviere Aux-Bec Scies or “river of sawbill ducks” (bec-scie).
Bay County was created in 1857 from portions of Midland, Arenac, and Saginaw counties. Its name origin is that it “surrounds Saginaw Bay.”
Barry County was formed in 1829 and named after William Taylor Berry, United States Postmaster General under President Andrew Jackson, making it one of Michigan’s “cabinet counties”.